Notes from the Nintendo digital presser!
- Super Smash Brothers U – Trailer.. thing? ‘Mii fighter’ announced. 3 types, Brawlers (fists), Swordfighters, and Gunner (Arm Cannons/Projectiles). Looks like a lot of the extra minigames and random customization is coming back, along with some new stuff. Oct 3 for 3DS version. Holiday 2014 for Wii U version.
- Amiibo – Skylander type toys with special chips in them that will cause Wii U systems to recognize figures. ‘Spring to life’ in compatible games. Super Smash Bros Wii U will be the first game to support it. Support for Mario Kart 8 being worked on.
- Yoshi’s Wooly World – Looks pretty cute, just like Kirby’s Epic Yarn.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker – Super Mario 3D world inspired platformer.
- Legend of Zelda Wii U – The one screen they showed looked pretty. A lot of moving foilage and stuff. Described as Open World. Cell Shaded cinematic trailer. Still want to see more, but looks like a decent start.
- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake – Still a thing. Some weird live action/gameplay hybrid trailer.
- Bayonetta 2 – Still a thing. Gameplay trailer. Get original with purchase of the sequel.
- Hyrule Warriors – Dev commentary video. Sept 26 date.
- Kirby and the Rainbow Cruise – 2015 claymation Kirby game.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (AKA just X) – Cinematic trailer. HNNNNG
- Mario Maker – Gameplay Trailer. Create your own Mario worlds. Uses Original Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros U 2D engines it looks like
- Splatoon – 8 player 4v4 online multiplayer action game. Paintball 3rd person shooter. Use paint to ‘claim’ territory.
- Final Announcement is Palunteena as a SSBU character.
Sooooooooooooo. Where should I start with this. Of all the stuff they talked about I really only care about Super Smash Brothers U and X really. The little bit of the Wii U Legend of Zelda title seemed interesting and a lot more ‘next gen,’ but I’m not really going to be on board until I see more. I’m not just going to get hype over a mention of a Legend of Zelda game. They showed a lot of platforms that don’t really do anything for me, I am not even close to the target audience for the Amiibo thing, Hyrule Warriors looks neat I guess, and Splatoon was actually kinda cool. Pokemon has basically become Nintendo’s Call of Duty. Seems like a real cash cow franchise they just throw version of out now.
It is probably worth noting that Mario Party 10, and a new Star Fox is available to demo at E3. Mario Party 10 could be fun if they have solid online play. Devil’s Third, a new title from the Ninja Gaiden director, was also announced after the presser as a Wii U exclusive. I found the fact that they didn’t release all of this info during the presser a little weird.
I’ll have a bigger post about the entirety of E3 later this week. I used up most of my lunch break at work for this one :).
Right now as far as pressers go I’m thinking Ubisoft > Microsoft > Sony > Nintendo > EA.